Logic and Compassion, Facts and Nurturing, Fun and Exploring - check here

We continue the sometimes joyful and sometimes painful path to try to be better human beings - this is only possible because we can rise above logic, that we find the wonder and hope, the language and words to inspire us and keep us going. Thanks for visiting.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Renaming this blog to Global Connections, Eclectic Selections

When I started the blog 6+ years ago, I was deep in the world of CRM, Customer Relationship Management - and it all seems so far away today. The world has changed so profoundly. We have moved away from the era of the Customer and Capitalism to a new one of Global Citizenship.

In the last 2 months, I have been to Singapore, Washington DC, Sydney Australia and more. I exchange email with people in Bogota Colombia, Europe, Asia and easily stay in touch with people in Wyoming and New Zealand with no more effort than the simple click of my fingers on a keyboard.

While not everyone in the world can do this, more and more each day are enabled to do so.

As communication expands, so do connections and common interests. The idea of citizenship beyond that of a nation, is becoming more and more real.

When people are in touch around the globe, it begins to make sense to talk about Global Citizenship.

My travels to Asia and Australia in the last month struck me in this way:

how much US news dominated coverage in the local papers.

The US Debt Crisis and the S&P downgrading of the US credit rating sent global stock markets into turmoil were unavoidable news on TV, newsprint and in conversation.

It hit home to me, how increasingly interconnected we are, how actions in one place truly affecting people in another in profound ways.

How to respond to this realization? I'm moved to invoke the idea of active global citizenship.

From Wikipedia's entry on Citizen:

"Active citizenship" is the philosophy that citizens should work towards the betterment of their community through economic participation, public, volunteer work, and other such efforts to improve life for all citizens.


“My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. ”

Thomas Paine "Rights of Man"


The renaming of the blog honors this unstoppable trend of human communication.


MIT OpenCourseWare: I'm invested

No comments: